Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My POV

I feel like Bill Lamb.  Who watches the news?  Do you know what I'm talking about.  And THAT'S MY POINT OF VIEW!!  ha ha!!

Anyway, you guys have had lots of good questions and lots of good things to think about!

1.  Diet Drinks: to do or not to do?  I kind of feel the same way I do about all processed foods.  Not a good idea.  I know, I know.  But they are DIET!  Daniel and I have this conversation all the time.  They are still "processed" and they are still all that artificial sweetener stuff that can't be good!

2.  Cereal: I don't eat a lot of cereal.  I do feed it to my kids though.  I have them trained to check the back to see how much sugar is in it!  I've totally brainwashed them!  I will hear Sam tell Jake, "That has too much sugar.  Mom won't let us get it!"  ha!  If you have a smartphone, there is this great app called "Fooducate".  You can scan the barcode on any food and it will give that food a grade.  I just scanned my Grapenuts and they got an A-.  The only thing negative it said was "Look out!  Not 100% whole grain."  I scanned some Corn Flakes and it was a C+.  I was surprised by that.  It said controversial additive BHT present.  Be cautious when you buy cereal.  They try to make EVERYTHING sound healthy!

3.  Veggies:  How can you make them taste good?  I don't do anything to raw veggies.  Sometimes I add balsamic vinegar to my tomatoes.  Sometimes you just have to acquire a taste for stuff.  It's taken me 33 years to like tomatoes and now I LOVE them!!  (Don't laugh Mom!)  I use different seasonings and such to my streamed/grilled veggies.  The other night I used this greek seasoning on my squash.  I just cut up the squash, put it on a pan, sprinkled this stuff on top, and baked it.  It was soo good.  I ate the whole squash myself!  I didn't share with my family!  ha!  I've kinda burnt them out on squash this summer so I don't think they minded!
4.  Fruit vs. veggies?  You definitely need to eat both as part of a well-balanced diet.  I tend to eat more veggies because they are lower in calories than fruit.  I usually just eat a piece of fruit for snack and/or have some blueberries on my yogurt.  I eat a ton of veggies though.  You can eat tons of those and really fill up without a bazillion calories!

5.  Someone ask what small changes they could make:  I think everyone should start with small changes.  Don't change everything all at once.  You will set yourself up for failure.  Pick one thing to change and go from there.  I eat ice cream sometimes and that's ok.  Keep your goal in mind and don't give up...even when it's hard and you want to quit!!!

6.  Meat:  Meat is not bad.  Yes, it is higher in calories but you need to get protein from someplace.  When I eat a piece of chicken, I may only eat 1/4 or 1/2 of it.  I always look at my plate at mealtime.  It should be covered mostly with veggies.  Meat should only be a small portion.

7.  Eggs:  I usually scramble mine just because it's easy.  I usually have a kid hanging on me while I am doing it!  ;)

Keep the questions coming and the conversation going!  I love talking about this kind of stuff!

5 comments:

fredsburgmomof3 said...

My new craving is vanilla yogurt on top of a bowl full of rasberries! I got the fozen ones (cheaper) and frozen peaches, OMG!! I sprinkle some grape nuts on top (I prefer wheat germ, but did not have any). I think I foundered on it the other night, lol.

The Utley Crew said...

Something I always tell people is to shop the perimeters when grocery shopping. The majority of the food that is good for you is on the perimeters of the store. I have had lots of people tell me, 'I was at the grocery the other day and I heard you in my head saying SHOP THE PERIMETERS!' ha! So, that's an easy tip for people wanting to make healthier choices. And, I 100% agree on the diet soda thing. I won't bore you with all of my ideas, but I think artificial sweetners are AWFUL and responsible for MANY health issues people face today. Scott was a diet soda drinker and when he gave it up, it took about 2 weeks for his body to adjust. He goes to an 'alternative chiropractor' for some neck issues he has and he was telling her about giving it up and how awful he felt, etc. She did some checking around on him and the strain of filtering that junk from his body was messing with his kidneys and everything. CRAZY!

Dan and Denise said...

Awesome! I love your blog! Keep it up! Can I add anymore exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!

Deonna Colvin said...

Ok so I love the app! I am disappointed that some of my scanned foods are in the Bs and I thought they were 'good for me' after reading in detail the reason why I don't think they will be in kitchen once they are finished. I did however put a 'C' product back on the shelf today. I need a better alternative! Great info, keep it up. Small steps for us all. FYI August will 2 years off the juice for me. Diet Coke free 2 and counting!

Dan and Denise said...

Where is Gretchen's comment about the meatloaf? I was just sure there would be one!