Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 1


I've had a request to do some fitness/healthy living posts.  (Hi, Amber!)  I don't really feel like anything I do is unique or special but I will just tell you what I do and be as honest as possible.  You will probably learn a thing or two about me!  I'll even tell you when I cheat!  ;)  So, if you don't care, just skip these posts.  This is just my opinion and what I do.  I am not saying that it is perfect or the way it has to be.  

Here you go!  Day 1.  
(This is pretty typical since I didn't know I was going to do this when I started the day.)

I got up and ran about 3 1/2 miles this morning.  For breakfast, I had a Bob Evans turkey sausage link (LOVE!) and part of an egg.  I also drank a cup of coffee with some of my fav York Peppermint Patty creamer.  I don't use any sugar and the creamer is 35 calories for a tablespoon.  The sausage if 30 calories per link and an egg is about 70 calories.

I had a salad for lunch.  We are running low on fresh vegetables so it was just lettuce, carrots, green peppers, and a few croutons.  I did use a little shredded cheese because I am trying to clean out my fridge and there was a tiny bit left in the bag.  I really wanted to throw it away the package.  However, I usually don't eat cheese on my salads.  I used a tiny bit of lite ranch and a tiny but of tangy bacon catalina for my dressing.  Sometimes, I don't use any dressing.  My family teases me and says that I eat 'dry salad!'  I just feel like I am eating raw vegetables.

I grabbed a hand full of veggie straws mid afternoon.  

I jazzercised this afternoon and came home to make dinner.  I made meatloaf.  It's a family favorite!  When I make my plate, I try to make sure it's filled with mostly vegetables.  We don't eat a lot of casseroles.  Casseroles have a lot of hidden calories.  Each night, I make a lean meat and 2 vegetables.  Tonight I made 3 vegetables because I really don't count corn as a vegetables.  We typically eat a lot of fresh veggies but tonight the peas and broccoli were both steamed because I need to go to the grocery.  I love those steamable bags.  I buy a ton of those when I find them on sale....except the green beans....yuck!  

If I want to lose weight, I try to stay around 1200 calories a day.  I do pretty well through the week.  The weekends are the hardest.  I've learned that it can take up to 3 days to recover from an unhealthy day.  YIKES!  I just believe in counting my calories and burning more that you take in.  I've never bought into any diet or anything like that.  I also weigh myself almost every day.  I know this is a major no-no for a lot of people but I feel like if I go up a pound or 2 I want to know right away.  

Looking back at today, I clearly didn't eat enough any fruit.  I guess it's because we are out of a lot of things.  I usually eat a piece of fruit in the afternoon.  I feed my kids fruit at each meal but I usually eat it as snacks.  (This is why I love food journals.  It really makes you look back and think about your day.)

I will go ahead and note too that I don't buy a lot of low-fat and fat-free things.  I believe in moderation.  A lot of those things are still packed full of unhealthy ingredients.  We try to stay away from anything processed.  I mostly believe in fresh fruits and vegetables.  However, I do use spray butter.  I don't know what it's made out of but I love that stuff!

No comments: