Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What are your hurdles?

Heather writes:


I am interested in other people's hurdles to achieving the goal and what they use for motivation to JUMP those hurdles! For example, here are mine:

1. I am/feel too fat to put on the workout clothes...they cling to my body...what if someone sees me and how terrible I look? 

Solution: Envision the "me" that awaits the end of training and all the hard work, not what is there now. Who cares if someone sees you and thinks, "look at that sweaty fatty run" because at the end of the day, my butt was NOT on the couch :) I actually had someone elude to that once when my husband and I did the half-marathon. My response? "Oh, did YOU just run > 13 miles? No. Okay then."

2. I am tired, exhausted in fact.

Solution: just put on my shoes and show up. If I can give it at least 10 minutes, I know it will start to feel good and I will be glad that I showed up. Remembering Alicia's posting: there are 1440 minutes in every day. I should be able to spare 30 for exercise. 

3. I love food. I love sweet food.

Solution: Don't buy the crap that I shouldn't be eating. Not so easy to eat if I don't have it accessible. And again, log the calories before eating and decide if it is worth it to ruin my great week of being under calories.

4. It will take forever to get where I want to be/it's never going to happen/it is too hard.

Solution: The end result will be so worth it. After 1 week of eating right and exercising, I know I will feel better even if I don't look better yet. I have to remind myself to take it slow. Follow the program (mine are Lose It and Couch to 5K) and not try to go farther, faster. No need to burn out! 

Anyhow, these are my obstacles. What are obstacles you guys have???








Personally, my biggest hurdle is TIME!  I have 3 kids and a husband.  I have to run a tight ship.  Everyone is involved in activities.  Daniel and I are involved at Sam's school so we have obligations with that.  I teach Jazzercise.  Sam and Jake both play sports.  Nora....well, she's gonna be in dance and gymastics soon enough!  :)  


I solve that by running 6 mornings a week at 5:30 or 5:45 am.  Most days, I am home and showered before my family is out of bed.  However, this does present another problem.  I have to make sure I go to bed at a reasonable time.  If I stay up too late too many nights in a row, it really catches up with me.  If you see pictures of my sleeping in the car, this is why!  ha!  :)  It's soo worth it though!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Alicia, you are seriously AMAZING!!!!! I am hoping that if I can adapt these habits now, I can follow your lead when I am a parent! Starting back to work and going to get very busy soon...I'll be thinking of you when I drag myself out of bed at 5:30. I'll keep saying, "Alicia says you HAVE to!".

ginmommy said...

My hurdles are having the temptations around the house. I have to have amazing willpower to fight it, day in and out. I generally don't have great willpower either, so it's a daily battle.

The Black's said...

My biggest hurdle is my sweet tooth...I have almost zero will power when it comes to something sweet.

the lewis gang said...

SLEEP! early morning workouts can be so hard when i'm not a good sleeper. i was up from 4-5 this morning. then the alarm went off at 5:30 for body pump. sometimes i wish my will to workout weren't so great because my body needs sleep too! for now, i like having my tuesday/thursday to sleep in a little since mon/wed/fri are early morning workouts for me. i so wish i had the ability to make up for lost sleep. anybody else out there who struggles with this? i know my bff/author of this page doesn't!!! :)