Saturday, August 11, 2012

Restaurants

Eating out.  Oh it's so hard and such an easy options for busy people.  I am guilty when it comes to this.  Here are some pointers that I try to live by:

  1. Try to plan ahead and be ready to cook at home.  If I don't have anything planned, I am likely to stop and grab something for dinner.  Not usually a healthy choice.  Do you use your crock pot?  Plan it and use it!  Dinner is ready or almost ready when you walk in the door.
  2. I know. I know.  "But we have football/basketball/gymnastic/dance practice every night so I just go through the drive-thru."  Plan ahead and pack a dinner.  Don't think you have to cook.  Think outside the box.  What about a cold lunch packed in a cooler?  
  3. When you do go out, plan ahead.  Most sites list the nutritional information for their food.  On some sites, like Qdoba, you can calculate the number of calories in their different entrees.
  4. Ask your waiter/waitress how the food is prepared.  Sauces add lots of calories.  Ask for half the sauce.  I do that if I go to Olive Garden.  Watch creamy sauces.  High in calories and fat.
  5. Lots of places have a "healthy/light/low fat" section.  Look for it or ask if there is a separate menu.
  6. I've heard of people doing this (I've never done it though).....ask for a box as soon as you get your meal.  Then you can box up half of it so you won't eat it all at once.
  7. Watch for too much cheese and meat on a salad.  
  8. Have you ever dipped your fork in your dressing instead of pouring it all on at once?  Ask for your dressing on the side and dip your fork in it with each bite.  You will use much less.
  9. Make sure to order plenty of vegetables.  Think about what your plate looks like.  It should be covered mostly with vegetables.
  10. Grilled is always a good way to order your meat.

Any other tips or tricks out there that you use?

No comments: